Port of Newcastle is proud to be the custodian of the historic Carrington Hydraulic Engine House.
Built in 1877, the building housed the first large scale hydraulic power system to be established in Australia, providing power for the original coal loading cranes.
Carrington Hydraulic Engine House
Port of Newcastle has committed to the ongoing restoration of the heritage-listed building, with an initial three stage program of works aimed at making the building safe for access.
The $1.2 million Stage 1 project was completed in 2020 and included restoration of the southern façade, repairs and waterproofing of the roof and creation of the public plaza celebrating the building’s significance and history. Stage 1 was possible thanks to $500,000 of funding from the Newcastle Port Community Contribution Fund, administered by the NSW Government.
Port of Newcastle invested a further $500,000 in 2021 to complete Stage 2 works. This involved restoration of the northern, eastern and western façades as well as termite eradication and prevention activities.
An additional $950,000 has been committed to Stage 3 of the restoration project, which includes the repair and sealing of the engine room floor and construction of an access ramp.