Community Sponsorship Program
Community Sponsorship Program
Port of Newcastle is pleased to announce the outcome of this year’s sponsorship program, with funding awarded to 12 local projects.
The Port looks forward to partnering with:
‘Leadership Velocity’ program, which involves workshop and coaching sessions for female students in years 11 and 12. Find out more.
Australian Water Polo League Games to be held at Queens Wharf, Newcastle Harbour in 2021. Find out more.
Supporting the delivery of an Augmented Reality (AR) experience for the Pitch X event in 2021. Find out more.
In-kind support via line marking conducted by Port of Newcastle’s survey team for the Newcastle Regatta in November 2020. Find out more.
Naming rights for the STEM Education Area as part of the 2021 Newcastle Show. Find out more.
Annual Cocktail Connections event planned for December 2020.
Aim of the event is for students to network with local industry and potential future employers. Find out more.
Purpose-built trailer to assist the Club with transporting equipment during surf life saving activities. Find out more.
Ongoing support for the migratory Shorebirds habitat on Kooragang Island, including a community open day in 2021. Find out more.
Purchase and installation of approximately 15kW of solar panels on the Croatian Wickham Sports Club in partnership with Climate Action Newcastle.
Support for the ‘Flourish in Newcastle Program’ which is engaging local trades and volunteers to transform the outdoor environment of Zara’s House. Find out more.
About the Program
Applications for 2020 are now closed.
The Community Sponsorship Program aims to support local sustainability initiatives that provide social, economic or environmental benefits.
Administered once a year, Port of Newcastle offers sponsorships worth up to $6,000. The Port, at its discretion, may offer a sponsorship arrangement of greater value.
The Community Sponsorship Program is in addition to the $1 million that Port of Newcastle provides annually for the Newcastle Port Community Contribution Fund, which is administered by the New South Wales Government.
- The Newcastle Community Contribution Fund supports projects that engage the community with Newcastle harbour or improves accessibility and amenity of public areas around the port.
- Port of Newcastle’s Community Sponsorship Program supports local sustainability initiatives.
- A group, charity or not-for-profit organisation may apply for sponsorship funding worth up to $6,000. Port of Newcastle, at its discretion, may choose to offer sponsorships worth a greater value. Requests for in-kind support may also be considered.
- The project or initiative must help to raise Port of Newcastle’s profile and strengthen its reputation and relationships with key stakeholders.
- The project or initiative must align with Port of Newcastle’s corporate social responsibility values. For example, priority is given to:
- projects and initiatives that deliver benefits to communities located within or adjacent to port land;
- local student engagement around STEM-related career pathways;
- cultural initiatives celebrating Aboriginal heritage;
- activities that directly engage the community with the port;
- empowerment of women, especially in industry, STEM and leadership roles.
- A group, charity, not-for-profit, or commercial company may apply for sponsorship worth up to $6,000. Port of Newcastle, at its discretion, may choose to offer sponsorships worth a greater value. Requests for in-kind support may also be considered.
- The project or initiative must provide environmental benefits to the Port and Greater Newcastle area, but may also achieve broader positive impacts.
- The project or initiative must raise Port of Newcastle’s profile and strengthen its reputation and relationships with key stakeholders.
- Priority is given to projects that:
- deliver measurable environmental benefits to the port environs and adjacent surroundings;
- inspires community engagement and environmental stewardship of the port surroundings.
- Groups and organisations seeking sponsorship must apply through the Community Sponsorship Program by 5pm Friday 6 March 2020.
- Sponsorship worth up to $6,000 is available per group
- Applications must demonstrate how funds will be used on activities to be carried out in 2020
- Applications may include requests for in-kind support
Port of Newcastle will not support projects where:
- The audience is not specific
- It does not align with the Sponsorship Program priorities
- Does not provide benefit to Port of Newcastle or its community
- May have a negative impact on Port of Newcastle’s reputation
- The sponsorship fee is unreasonable
- It is better suited to the Newcastle Port Community Contribution Fund
- The project is dangerous, immoral or is political in nature
If Port of Newcastle chooses to partner with you as a funding or in-kind sponsor, you will be required to enter into a Sponsorship Agreement, which will be tailored to suit your initiative and outline your obligations in more detail.
Some of the standardised obligations will require you to:
- Enter into a Sponsorship Agreement
- Provide a tax invoice for sponsorship funds to be paid
- Use the funds on activities to be conducted by 13 November 2020
- Report on the completion of the project using a template to be provided by Port of Newcastle
- Acknowledge Port of Newcastle’s support publicly (and as outlined in your Sponsorship Agreement)
- Assume all commercial responsibilities including public risk and/or any other appropriate insurance protection
All eligible sponsorship applications will be assessed by a panel according to the criteria of each category. To give your application the best chance of securing sponsorship, ensure you demonstrate how you meet each criterion.