Port of Newcastle is proud to be the custodian of the historic Hydraulic Engine House.
Built in 1877, the building housed the first large scale hydraulic power system to be established in Australia, providing power for the original coal loading cranes.
Works are underway to restore the sandstone façade, protect the interior from weather and improve the structural integrity of the building. The $1.2 million project will also include the creation of a new public plaza to celebrate the significance of the building and its contribution to Newcastle's industrial heritage.
The restoration of the facade is the first of a number of planned restoration campaigns to create a bold new future for the Hydraulic Engine House.
The Project is jointly funded by the NSW Government and the Port of Newcastle.