Why join us?
The Port of Newcastle is the largest port on Australia's east coast and the world's largest coal export port.
Our company is the commercial manager of the Port and holds a 98-year lease with the New South Wales Government.
We provide a vast range of services to the port including vessel scheduling, property management and port development, trade development, cruise shipping, dredging and survey, wharf and berth services and maintenance of major port assets.
In running a safe and efficient port, we work in partnership with our global shareholders, port customers and service providers, government and the community.
We value safety, teamwork, initiative, performance, customer service and delivering on our promises.
If you are looking for a significant, dynamic and challenging career opportunity, join our team.
- Please ensure you read all information provided for the vacant position you are applying for.
- Complete your application online prior to the closing date.
- You will receive an automated email acknowledging that your email has been received.
- Applications will be reviewed in line with selection criteria for the role and shortlisted.
- You may receive a phone call to discuss your applications.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview.
- All applicants will be notified if they have been successful or not.
Writing your application
In a single .pdf document, please ensure you provide:
- your cover letter
- responses to the selection criteria (should not exceed 3 pages)
- a resume (please notify and include contact details for 2 x referees)
- Refer to the Position Description provided, which lists the knowledge, skills and experience required for the position.
- Address all knowledge, skills and experience criteria for the role. We recommend listing the criteria, then clearly and concisely explain how you meet it.
- When addressing each criterion, provide specific details and examples of your abilities, qualifications, experience and standard of previous work performance.
- You will be asked to provide details of all relevant qualifications as part of the recruitment process.
- If, after reading the information provided and the position description, you require further information about applying, please contact the person listed in the job advertisement. Speaking to the contact person may also help you to decide whether to apply for the job and what aspects of your qualifications and experience you should emphasise in your application and resume.
- Alternatively, general questions about the recruitment process can be directed to the People, Safety & Environment Team on (02) 4908 8253 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Port of Newcastle is committed to supporting students from the Hunter Region in their studies and transition into working life. We currently accept applications from high schools through to tertiary study placement programs.
How do you apply?
- The first step is to speak with your school's work placement/vocational education coordinator followed by the submitting a work placement application.
- Port of Newcastle will make every effort to accommodate your requests where possible, but please be aware that availability is dependent on resourcing, supervision and operational commitments.
For more information, please contact the People, Safety and Environment Team on 4908 8253 or email email@example.com
Make a difference to our region
The Port of Newcastle is key to the growth and diversification of the Hunter Region and New South Wales. It is also an important contributor to Australia's economy.
Each year, the port handles nearly 168 million tonnes of trade, including coal, fuel, grain, fertiliser and large equipment and machinery.
The Port has huge capacity for growth, with a shipping channel that can handle double the current shipping activity and 200 hectares of vacant port land. We are committed to realising this potential.
Our people are vital to identifying and delivering innovative solutions and efficiencies to the market. This will in-turn drive trade and economic growth, benefitting current and future generations.
Expand your skill set
The breadth and scale of our operations presents a diverse range of opportunities to apply your professional expertise.
As a member of our team you will work with a diverse range of professionals with expertise in hydrographic survey, law, environmental matters, trade and property development, planning, safety, finance and communications.
In the field, we operate a maintenance dredger, survey vessel and a vast range of essential port assets from the breakwaters to navigation aids.
Projects underway include the construction of the Newcastle Cruise Terminal, the restoration of the historic Carrington Hydraulic Engine House and the revitalisation of the marine services precinct.
In addition, we offer: training and professional development opportunities; a study assistance program; and ‘Lunch & Learn’ sessions.
Enjoy a competitive salary and a range of benefits
Employees benefits include:
- Competitive salaries;
- Paid maternity Leave (14 weeks);
- Paid paternity Leave (1 week);
- Income protection insurance to all permanent employees;
- Salary packaging arrangements;
- Flexible work opportunities.
Live, work and play by the harbour
Our head office is located in the Newcastle CBD, close to the harbour, cafés, shops and beaches.
The Newcastle lifestyle is unrivalled, with residents enjoying affordable real estate minutes’ drive from some of Australia’s best beaches. A vibrant café and dining scene and an ever-expanding choice of retail stores provides the conveniences of a metropolitan hub, alongside a relaxed way of life.
A huge revitalisation is currently underway in Newcastle which will transform the CBD and grow the economy.
Be part of an engaged and committed team
Our employees tell us they work with great people who are knowledgeable, professional, and have a strong belief in the organisation’s values and purpose.
The scale and diversity of the Port’s trade means our employees enjoy stimulating and challenging work.
We are committed to personal leadership as demonstrated through our actions and behaviours.
Safety is a core value and we want our employees to follow our "Work Safe. Home Safe" motto.
Our people have access to:
- Year-round health and wellbeing activities and programs;
- Corporate fitness memberships available at local gyms for a small fortnightly fee; and
- An Employee Assistance Program.
Get to know our community
We recognise that our staff are part of the community in which we operate and are strong advocates for ‘giving back’ to local causes.
We encourage our people to get involved in reviewing Community Partnerships applications or take part in staff fundraising and volunteering activities throughout the year.
Our staff have rolled up their sleeves to beautify areas around the port.
We team up throughout the year to host charity fundraiser events and a Workplace Giving program offers staff the option to make a direct payment from their salary to their selected charity or cause.